- Physical Change (melting, boiling)
- Chemical Reaction
- Combustion (reaction with oxygen)
- Combination (reaction between two elements; combustion is an example)
- Thermal Decomposition (one chemical breaks down into two, or more, chemicals; one product is carbon dioxide)
We did some experiments to try and work out how to tell which type of reaction is happening. We found:
- Start with a single chemical that has the word "carbonate" in it.
- Creates a gas that turns limewater cloudy (this is carbon dioxide).
- Start with an element (usually, this is a metal).
- This reacts with another element (usually, this is oxygen).
- Creates one chemical that has two names (zinc sulfide, magnesium oxide, iron (III) oxide, etc.).